In celebration of World Science Day on 10th November, we’ve collected the most amazing science facts to share with your children. You can also improve their Science knowledge with our interactive worksheets or science experiments. Young scientists get ready!
1. Did you know that there are 206 bones in the adult human body and there are 300 in children (as they grow some of the bones fuse together).
2. The first animal to ‘walk’ on land was, in fact, a fish! Well, it didn’t really walk because it didn’t have legs (and it was more of a sponge or jellyfish, than a fish!). Why they did it, we don’t know, but they stayed and survived, and then evolved into all of the other species that live on land today.
3. There is enough DNA in an average person’s body to stretch from the sun to Pluto and back — 17 times.
4. When Helium is cooled to almost absolute zero (-273°C), the lowest temperature possible, it becomes a liquid and it flows against gravity and will start running up and over the lip of a glass container!
5. The fastest computer in the world is the CRAY Y-MP C90 supercomputer. It has two gigabytes of central memory and 16 parallel central processor units.